Announcing New Series: Shaping the Future Hosted by Dr. David Dockterman
We’re excited to share our next series of HMH Learning Moments... Shaping the Future! This series is hosted by Dr. David Dockterman (Dock), an education lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, as he talks to both education experts and thought leaders from other industries. Together, they will examine leading issues from across the K-12 industry and offer insights for educators to best shape the future of education.
Read more from Dock about Shaping the Future and what to expect this season.
You can follow HMH Learning Moments: Shaping the Future wherever you listen to podcasts. Subscribe on:
Episode 1 - Shaping the Future: The Evolving Workforce
Air date: October 15, 2019
This episode explores key questions around the future workforce, such as:
- Are we preparing students for today’s workforce or the one they’ll inherit?
- How is the teaching profession changing to keep pace with an evolving world?
- What can educators do to ensure students succeed in careers that don’t even exist yet?
- What are the “soft skills” educators need to cultivate in their students to prepare them for a future career?
- George Anders, Senior Editor At Large at LinkedIn, New York Times bestselling author, and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Dr. Bill Daggett, Founder of International Center for Leadership in Education and creator of the Rigor/Relevance Framework
Read the full transcript.
Episode 2: Shaping the Future: Education's Democratic Responsibility
Air date: October 29, 2019
This episode will explore how to responsibly teach civics in schools and addresses questions like:
- How does the historical role of schools impact how we teach civics today?
- How can we empower students to make changes in their communities?
- Can we successfully teach civics education and remain nonpartisan?
- Sylvia Acevedo, CEO of the Girl Scouts and author of Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist
- Dr. Emma Humphries, Chief Education Officer at iCivics
A full transcript will be posted when the episode airs on October 29.
Episode 3: Shaping the Future: Media Literacy and "Fake News"
Air date: November 12, 2019
In an era where “fake news” and false information is rampant online, this episode will explore:
- How do we ensure ALL students are media literate?
- What resources exist to help educators teach this complex and ever-evolving subject?
- What role can social media play in teaching media literacy in context?
- Katy Byron, Editor and MediaWise Program Manager at Poynter
- Erik Palmer, Author, Consultant, and former teacher
A full transcript will be posted when the episode airs on November 12.
We debuted HMH Learning Moments in May 2019 with season one of our cornerstone series, Teachers in America. The series features incredible stories from real teachers—and we are so honored to share their stories with you. Hear more from the teachers we talked to this year.
Please consider rating, reviewing, and sharing HMH Learning Moments with your network. We value our listeners' support and feedback. Email us at Shaped@hmhco.com.