Download our letter to you with tips and suggestions for extending this week’s activities with your family. Have a great week!
Welcome to Incredible Insects! We’ll provide five days of reading and learning activities designed to engage your child in an exploration of butterflies, bees, and other bugs.
It’s Monday, so let’s read about butterflies!
The teacher brought a plant to school. It has an egg on it. Something beautiful is going to happen!
- Download Monarch Mystery
Discuss the book: What kind of plant did the teacher bring to class? What happened when the caterpillar ate the plant? Where do some butterflies go?
It’s Tuesday, so let’s watch a video!
Watch the video Zoom In to find out what three kids learn when they observe a small area closely.
It’s Wednesday, so let’s write!
Write about Migrating
Imagine you are a migrating butterfly. What is it like to fly for miles and miles? Write to complete this sentence frame:
I am migrating. I will _____.
More to Read!
For more reading about insects, download Don’t Stomp on That Bug!
It’s Thursday, so let’s research bugs!
- Choose an insect or bug to research.
- Look in nonfiction books or online with an adult to find information.
- What do they look like? What do they eat? How do they move?
- Write or tell what you learned about your bug or insect.
It’s Friday, so let’s create!
- Cut a butterfly shape and fold it in half.
- Paint an orange and black design on one side.
- Fold your butterfly again. What happens to the paint?
- Share your monarch and explain why it is symmetrical.
Talk about what you learned about Incredible Insects this week with your friends and family!