Activities & Lessons
Download our letter to you with tips and suggestions for extending this week’s activities with your family. Have a great week!Welcome to the Great Outdoors! We’ll provide five days of reading and learning activities designed to engage your child in an exploration of nature all around us.
It’s Monday, so let’s read about hiking in the woods!
In the Woods
A family goes for a walk in the woods. What colors will they see?
- Download In the Woods
Discuss the book: What is the family doing? What color is the bird they see? Which animal would you like to see in the woods?
It’s Tuesday, so let’s watch a video!
A Year in the Garden
Watch the video A Year in the Garden to see how a family creates and nurtures their own garden over a whole year.
It’s Wednesday, so let’s write!
Write about Colors
Think about living or nonliving things that you can find in the woods. Use the pictures from In the Woods to help you think of ideas. Name and describe objects using color words. Write sentences using one of these sentence frames:
I can find a _____ in the woods.
A _____ is in the woods.
More to Read!
For more reading about outdoor fun, download The Fishing Trip.
It’s Thursday, so let’s explore concepts!
Create a Concept Web
- Draw a circle and label it “The Woods.”
- Add more circles and connect them to the first circle. Write or draw different animals and plants that live in the woods to each circle.
- Choose one plant or animal from your web to read more about.
- Draw details about that plant or animal on the back of your concept web.
It’s Friday, so let’s create!
Make Trading Cards
Use index cards to make animal and plant trading cards!
- On one side of index cards, draw and color plants and animals that the characters see in In the Woods or The Fishing Trip.
- Write the name and the color on the other side of the cards.
- Add more cards for other plants and animals that live in the woods.
- Sort the cards by color. Then sort a different way.
Talk about what you learned about the Great Outdoors this week with your friends and family!
Nikki La Londe
Director of Services Content Development, HMH
Podcast: How to Cultivate a Love of Reading in Students with Russell Souders in TX on Teachers in America