Activities & Lessons
Download our letter to you with tips and suggestions for extending this week’s activities with your family. Have a great week!Welcome to Incredible Insects! We’ll provide five days of reading and learning activities designed to engage your child in an exploration of butterflies, bees, and other bugs.
It’s Monday, so let’s read about friends and their love of bugs!
The Mysterious Neighbor
A new family has moved next door to Lily’s family. She wants to make friends with their daughter, Ana, but there is something mysterious about her. Why is Ana acting so strangely?
- Download The Mysterious Neighbor
Discuss the book: What are some things that Lily and Ana have in common? How does Lily feel when she thinks Ana keeps changing her mind? What is the solution to the mystery?
It’s Tuesday, so let’s watch a video!
Watch the video Zoom In to find out what three kids learn when they observe a small area closely.
It’s Wednesday, so let’s get writing!
Write a New Ending
Think of a different way that Lily might have solved the mystery. Write a new ending for the story.
More to Read!
- For more reading about insects, download The Smart Swarm.
It’s Thursday, so let’s research insects!
More About Insects
- Look in nonfiction books or online to find information about a bug or insect. What do they look like? What do they eat? How do they move?
- Write a brief description of your bug or insect.
- Draw a picture of the insect and label its parts.
It’s Friday, so let’s create!
- Cut a butterfly shape and fold it in half.
- Paint a design on one side.
- Fold your butterfly again. What happens to the paint?
Nikki La Londe
Director of Services Content Development, HMH
Podcast: How to Cultivate a Love of Reading in Students with Russell Souders in TX on Teachers in America