Download PDF of teacher instruction sheet.
Download PDF of student instruction sheet.
Have students give a 10-minute presentation about an article from a local news outlet covering environmental concerns. This can include, but is not limited to, natural disasters, abnormal weather patterns, protected animal habitats, pest control, air and water pollution, agriculture and farming, commercial land use, or environmental justice for communities of color or low-income communities. The presentation must answer the following questions:
- What is the central issue?
- What are the different perspectives on the issue?
- How does this issue impact the community?
- What steps can be taken to address this concern?
- How does this issue deepen or complicate your understanding of your local community? Of the state? Of the country?
- Why does your topic matter on Earth Day?
More Earth Day Ideas for School
Have more ideas for Earth Day activities for middle school and high school students? We'd love to hear them. Email us at Shaped@hmhco.com or tweet us at @TheTeacherRoom.
The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of HMH.
Learn more about HMH Science Dimensions, enabling teachers to guide K–12 students in learning through exploration, analysis, application, and explanation.
This blog, originally published in 2020, has been updated for 2021.