Multilingual learners have a wealth of strengths to offer their classrooms and communities. When they come to school, they bring linguistic and cultural knowledge that are assets we can leverage when teaching.
In this edWebinar, you learn how to accelerate academic language through high-interest content, consistent instructional routines, and daily practice opportunities to help your multilingual learners in grades 4-12 become confident and competent participants in content-area classes, college, and beyond. Viewers learn strategies for:
- Teaching high-leverage academic language and vocabulary
- Improving speaking and listening skills through daily opportunities for accountable class discussions, peer collaboration, and group presentations
- Developing academic writing skills to successfully write summaries, opinions/arguments, informative texts, narratives, and research papers
- Engaging students with rigorous, increasingly complex informational and literary texts that are relevant to students’ lives
- Making regular connections between coursework and the demands of secondary school, college, and the workplace
This recorded edWebinar is of interest to teachers and school and district leaders of the elementary through high school grades.
About the Presenters
F. Isabel Campoy is an award-winning bilingual author. She has published over 150 books in the areas of teaching English as a foreign language, language arts and parental involvement, writing, poetry, biography, fiction, and art. An international speaker on multicultural issues, Latino children’s literature, and drama applied to teaching, Isabel Campoy is the recipient of several awards, among them the Ramón Santiago (NABE), Tomás Rivera (UT Austin), and Laureate of San Francisco Public Library. Additionally, Children’s Literature Awards have been created in her name at both the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) and the Academy of Spanish Language (ANLE). In 2014, F. Isabel Campoy was inducted to the North American Academy of Spanish Language. F. Isabel Campoy is co-author of HMH Into Reading and HMH ¡Arriba la Lectura!, two K–5 English and Spanish reading programs. F. Isabel Campoy earned her M.A. at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and at the Reading University in England. Her doctoral studies in English philology were completed at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
About the Moderator
Sara Buren serves as Senior Product Marketing Manager for K–12 Supplemental ELA programs. Prior to HMH, Sara traveled the world developing special advertising reports for The New York Times Magazine and Forbes. She holds an international business and urban analysis degree from The Ohio State University.