NEW YORK - Today, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced the guest editors of the 2018 editions of The Best American Series. Among them are New York Times best-selling authors Roxane Gay and Cheryl Strayed, Pulitzer Prize winning New Yorker writer Hilton Als, and legendary food critic Ruth Reichl.
- The Best American Comics; guest editor Phoebe Gloeckner
- The Best American Essays; guest editor Hilton Als
- The Best American Food Writing; guest editor Ruth Reichl
- The Best American Mystery Stories; guest editor Louise Penny
- The Best American Nonrequired Reading; guest editor Sheila Heti
- The Best American Science and Nature Writing; guest editor Sam Kean
- The Best American Science Fiction & Fantasy; guest editor N. K. Jemisin
- The Best American Short Stories; guest editor Roxane Gay
- The Best American Sports Writing; guest editor Jeff Pearlman
- The Best American Travel Writing; guest editor Cheryl Strayed
For the first time, the series will include The Best American Food Writing for a total of ten categories.
"This year's list of distinguished editors-seven women and three men-reflect the diversity of American arts and letters," says Bruce Nichols, Senior Vice President and Publisher of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. "Each editor is at the top of their field. We are proud to publish them all, and excited to welcome Food Writing to the series for the first time."
About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Trade Publishing
For nearly two centuries, HMH Trade Publishing has published some of the world's most renowned novels, nonfiction, children's books, and reference works. As part of a leading global learning company, it is uniquely positioned to offer educational and entertaining content for all audiences. Its distinguished author list includes ten Nobel Prize winners, forty-eight Pulitzer Prize winners, fifteen National Book Award winners, and more than one hundred Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, and Sibert Medal and Honor recipients. HMH publishes such distinguished authors as Philip Roth, Temple Grandin, Tim O'Brien, and Amos Oz, and a celebrated roster of children's authors and illustrators including Kwame Alexander, Lois Lowry, and Chris Van Allsburg. HMH is also home to The Best American series®; The Whole30®, Weber Grill, Betty Crocker®, Better Homes and Gardens®, How to Cook Everything®, and other leading lifestyle properties; the Peterson Field Guides®; CliffsNotes™; books by J.R.R. Tolkien; and many iconic children's books and characters, including Curious George®, The Little Prince, and The Polar Express. For more information, visit www.hmhco.com/popular-reading.
VP, Executive Director of Publicity
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt