Sibert Honor Medalist · Kirkus’ Best of 2015 list · School Library Journal Best of 2015 · Publishers Weekly’s Best of 2015 list · Horn Book Fanfare Book · Booklist Editor's Choice
On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina's monstrous winds and surging water overwhelmed the protective levees around low-lying New Orleans, Louisiana. Eighty percent of the city flooded, in some places under twenty feet of water. Property damages across the Gulf Coast topped $100 billion. One thousand eight hundred and thirty-three people lost their lives. The riveting tale of this historic storm and the drowning of an American city is one of selflessness, heroism, and courage—and also of incompetence, racism, and criminality.
Don Brown’s kinetic art and as-it-happens narrative capture both the tragedy and triumph of one of the worst natural disasters in American history. A portion of the proceeds from this book has been donated to Habitat for Humanity New Orleans.
* "An excellent chronicle of the tragedy for a broad audience; children, teens, and adults will all be moved."
—Kirkus, starred review
* "Lively, dynamic sketching gives the artwork a sense of urgency and immediacy. It is as important to tell the story of a nation's failures as it is to record its triumphs, and this is a crucial contribution."
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Emotionally resonant, this outstanding title will appeal to graphic novel and nonfiction readers alike."
—Booklist, starred review
* "This astonishingly powerful look at one of America's worst disasters is a masterful blend of story and art."
—School Library Journal, starred review
* "If a book's power were measured like a storm's, this would be category five."
—Horn Book Magazine, starred review
“This book could almost make its point on the powerful illustrations alone, but Brown’s precise language secures the historical details in an unforgettable way...‘Drowned City’ delivers a brave treatment of important and uncomfortable details.”
—The New York Times Book Review
You have selected a product that is available for purchase only by a customer with an Educational Institution account. If you have an Educational Institution account, please sign out and sign back in using an Educational Institution account email address and password.
For inquiries concerning bulk purchases for corporate use, sales incentives, or nonprofit sales, please email our Special Sales department at TradeSales@hmhco.com.