The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background. The latest generation of titles in this series also feature glossaries and visual elements that complement the classic, familiar format.
Piqued by a dare, Angelou wrote this first book as an exercise in autobiography as art—and succeeded. Her novel is a story of the difficulties of black women and the eventual victory of spirit that comes from being a soulful fighter.
CliffsNotes on I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings helps you explore this tale of rebirth, self-worth, and dignity. This concise supplement helps you understand the overall structure of the novel, actions and motivations of the characters, and the social and cultural perspectives of the author. Features that help you study include
- A close look at the author's life which offers insight into her writing
- A list of characters and their descriptions
- Summaries and commentaries, chapter by chapter
- Critical assessments of the novel and the television movie adaptation
- Glossaries to help you fully understand the novel
- Critical essays on women in the novel and Southern Fundamentalism
- A review section that tests your knowledge, and suggested essay topics
Classic literature or modern-day treasure—you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.