The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background. The latest generation of titles in this series also feature glossaries and visual elements that complement the classic, familiar format.
CliffsNotes on The House of Seven Gables helps you explore this tale of a family curse and inherited sin. Once wealthy and now in a state of constant degeneration, both the Maule family and their grand mansion fall to the forces of society and mystery. They can escape from the bondage which the past imposes, but how?
This concise supplement to Hawthorne's The House of Seven Gables, helps you understand the overall structure of the novel, actions and motivations of the characters, and the social and cultural perspectives of the author. Features that help you study include
- Chapter-by-chapter summaries and commentaries
- A chronology of the author's life offers insight into his writing style
- Descriptive character analyses
- Critical essays on the Preface to the novel and on Hawthorne's use of symbols
- A review section that tests your knowledge, and suggested essay topics
Classic literature or modern-day treasure—you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.