The original CliffsNotes study guides offer a look into key elements and ideas within classic works of literature.
CliffsNotes on The Good Earth explores author Pearl S. Buck’s insight into the lives of the Chinese people, particularly the peasant population.
Following the story of a Chinese farmer who represents the universal cultivator – one who knows that his riches and security come from the good earth itself, this study guide provides summaries and critical commentaries for each chapter within the novel. Other features that help you figure out this important work include
- Personal background on the author
- Introduction to and synopsis of the book
- In-depth character analyses for the two principal figures, Wang Lung and wife O-Lan
- Critical essays on the Chinese practices of foot binding and concubinage
- Review section that features interactive questions and suggested essay topics
Classic literature or modern-day treasure — you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.