The original CliffsNotes study guides offer a look into key elements and ideas within classic works of literature.
CliffsNotes on Farewell to Manzanar explores the autobiographical childhood memories of the author’s wartime incarceration in a Japanese-American internment camp.
Following the first-person story of American-born Jeanne Wakatsuki, who was 7 years old when her family was forced into confinement with 10,000 other Asian-Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, this study guide provides summaries and critical commentaries for each chapter within a narrative that spans three decades. Other features that help you figure out this important work include
- Author background, including coverage of Jeanne’s healing return to Manzanar
- Introduction to the novel, with historical perspective
- Critical essays on style, settings, and themes
- Character analyses of Jeanne Wakatsuki and her parents
- Review section that features suggested essay topics
Classic literature or modern-day treasure — you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.