1. You Are a Lucky Man
CONGRATULATIONS! You have taken the first step to becoming a lean and healthy man. Whether you have been inspired by your soaring cholesterol level, an inability to keep your buttons from popping off, energy and stamina approaching the level of a limp rag, a sense you could definitely feel better than you do, or you are just fed up with being overweight, you have made an important decision that will totally change and improve your life. The Lean You is just under the surface waiting to break out. With little effort, you can become the healthy, fit, active man you want to be. You are a lucky man.
Being a Man: The Upside You are lucky because you are a man. Men have a tremendous advantage in fighting the battle of the bulge. Men (even fat men) are endowed with substantial muscle mass. Muscle is the tissue that burns fat. So it follows that most men can lose fat quickly. In addition, since most men have not been dieting since birth, they don't have the diet-related hangups that many women have. Many men do not even realize how overweight they are. Men who want to lose their beer belly or love handles have nature on their side.
Being a Man: The Downside Being a man may make losing weight easier, but men who eat a high-fat, high-saturated-fat diet clog their coronary arteries faster than women do. In fact, simply being a male is a risk factor for heart disease. Men who persist in following an unhealthy lifestyle are more likely to suffer strokes or colon cancer than women. So take advantage of the upside of being a male to ensure that you never suffer the downside. You can easily reduce your risks and increase your chances for a long and healthy life. Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men will show you how.
STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS You can capitalize on your fat-burning muscle mass to eat your way to a lean and healthy body. You can eat regular foods that you choose - you don't have to limit your diet to rabbit food. (In fact, salads are often a bad weight-loss choice.) You can eat satisfying portions so you're never hungry. You won't even have to spend half your day in a gym running around the track or lifting weights. You will be in control of your food choices, your weight, and your health. You just have to do three things: 1. Eat a low-fat diet (with an occasional high- fat splurge).
2. Eat plenty of nutritious food.
3. Exercise aerobically about 30 minutes a day (walking is great).
1. Eat a Low-Fat Diet Let's start with Strategy #1: Eat a low-fat diet. Extensive scientific research and the experience of thousands of Choosers to Lose have shown that FAT makes you fat. The less fat you put into your body's fat stores, the less fat you will have to remove later.
But how much fat are you eating? One of the reasons you are heavier than you want to be is that you are probably eating more fat than you realize. How do you know how much fat you should eat or how much fat is in foods?
Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men gives you a simple tool: a Fat Budget. This budget - the maximum amount of fat you can eat each day and still reach and maintain your desirable weight - is like your salary. Imagine how difficult it would be to make financial choices if you didn't know your salary. How would you know what kind of car to buy or what kind of vacation to take? Could you afford a Lexus or a Taurus, a trip to the beach or a cruise around the world? Your salary is one of the most powerful behavior modification tools in your life.
Like your salary, your Fat Budget empowers you to make choices - food choices. When you know your Fat Budget and the number of fat calories in foods,* you can decide which combination of foods you can afford to eat. No food is prohibited; no food is required.
Here's how the Fat Budget works. Say you are at the office Christmas party. Your Fat Budget is 400 fat calories a day. Instead of chug-a-lugging 3 cups of eggnog (510 fat calories) and causing a significant overdraft in your Fat Budget, you will ask, "Are 3 cups of eggnog worth 510 fat calories?" Why not spend 0 fat calories for wine or beer instead? It's your Fat Budget and your choice.
The Fat Budget even allows for splurges. Maybe 1 cup of eggnog is worth 170 fat calories to you. Budget it in. You don't have to give up everything. You just learn to make better choices. Eventually, your tastes may even change. Many men following Choose to Lose have told us that they can no longer stomach the high-fat, greasy foods they once ate with gusto. This may happen to you too.
Maximizing Fat Loss. Eating less fat is essential ffor weight loss, but you can't stop there. To shrink the fat stores, you must not only add less fat to them; you need to remove the fat that is already there. The next two strategies are aimed at removvvvving the stored fat.
2. Eat Plenty of Nutrient-Dense, Fiber-Rich Carbohydrates Strategy #2 is to eat low-fat, nutritious food to lose weight. You need to eat enough calories to keep your metabolism chugging along so you will burn fat at a maximum rate and thus help reduce your fat stores. Of course, you can't eat just any food. Not high-fat foods that add to your fat stores. And not empty calories like fat-free cakes and nonfat crackers, which only slow down your weight loss because your body burns them in preference to fat. We mean fruits, vegetables, whole grains - high-fiber, nutrient-dense carbohydrates. These foods have a lot of bulk and fill you up without filling you out. They are chock-full of vitamins and minerals too, which ensures your good health now and in the future. Add low-fat meats like chicken, turkey, fish, seafood, and some lean cuts of red meats, and you'll have a full, delicious, healthy diet.
Not only will these foods rev up your metabolism, they will keep you full and satisfied so you won't build up high-fat cravings and fall off the healthy-eating wagon. They will keep your energy at an all-time high. It is the carbohydrates in foods that give you energy and stamina - the prerequisites to fulfilling the third strategy: daily aerobic exercise.
3. Exercise Aerobically Every Day The third strategy for losing weight (and getting healthier) is daily aerobic exercise. Daily aerobic exercise is vital because it increases your energy needs. To satisfy the increased demand, the body burns fat from the fat stores and you lose weight. In addition, exercise builds and preserves muscle. Muscle is the tissue that burns fat. The more muscle you have, the higher is your capacity to burn your stockpiled fat. Before you insist that you are much too busy to run 5 miles a day or work out 2 hours each morning, rest assured that the exercise we recommend is not time-consuming or punishing. All you have to do is walk. We recommend walking for at least 30 minutes a day - the more, the better. The longer you exercise nonstop over 20 minutes, the more fat you burn and the leaner you'll become. It need not be intense. In fact, you should be able to carry on a normal conversation without becoming breathless. Of course, if you want to do something more vigorous, like bicycling or rowing, that's fine. Strength training and stretching are not aerobic but will also add enormously to your fitness and quality of life. (See Chapter 13 for more on exercise.) Choose to Lose for Life You are going to be making major lifestyle changes, but it won't be difficult. Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men is easy to follow and incorporate into your life - forever. The most common comment we hear from men following Choose to Lose Weight-Loss Plan for Men is, "Why didn't I start doing this years ago?" Patience You probably noticed that the word patience is at the center of the success triangle. Being a man and