The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background.
In CliffsNotes on The Color Purple, you follow the beautiful and difficult story of a shy and abused Southern black woman's struggle to create an identity, a feeling of self-worth, and love.
Covering a series of personal letters that span a 40-year period, this study guide shares a story about growth, endurance, loyalty, solidarity, and joy -- all nurtured by the strength of love. You'll gain comfort with the black folk language main character Celie's uses to express herself as you move through critical commentaries on each of the novel's 89 letters. Other features that help you figure out this important work include
- Life and background of the author, Alice Walker
- Analyses of a large cast of characters
- Introduction to the novel
- A review section that tests your knowledge and suggests essay topics
- A selected bibliography that leads you to more great resources
Classic literature or modern-day treasure — you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.