The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background. The latest generation of titles in this series also feature glossaries and visual elements that complement the classic, familiar format
Considered to be one of the three greatest philosophical tomes of all time, The Republic is Plato's account and interpretation of Socrates' ideas about life, meaning, and the just society. This text has provoked and shaped thought for thousands of years and is as applicable now as it ever was.
CliffsNotes on Plato's Republic helps you explore these writings by providing you with summaries and commentaries, book by book. You'll also gain insight into the life and background of the author, Plato, and understand his growth as a philosopher.
Other features that help you study include:
- A list of speakers and their descriptions
- Glossaries to help you fully understand new and unfamiliar terms
- Character analyses of Socrates, Thrasymachus, and others
- Critical essays on Plato's flyting, his childhood, and Leonidas
- A review section to test your knowledge with books, websites, and more for further study
Classic literature or modern-day treasure—you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.