The Fluharty Preschool Speech and Language Screening Test-Second Edition (Fluharty-2) provides rapid identification of those preschool children for whom a complete speech and language evaluation is recommended.
The instrument contains five subtests:
- Repeating Sentences
- Responding to Directives
- Answering Questions
- Describing Actions and Sequencing Events
Scores reflect performance in articulation, receptive language, expressive language, and composite language.
The Fluharty-2 is a complete revision of the original, normed on 705 children in 21 states. Sample populations represent the geographical distribution of the United States in 1998 and projected figures for 2000.
- The Fluharty-2 is easy to administer quickly and is appealing to children.
- The Fluharty-2 provides standard scores (M = 100, SD = 15) and percentiles for subtests and composites. There are age equivalents for the composites.
- The kit contains all necessary manipulatives.
- There is space on the record form for noting phonological process errors, voice quality, and fluency.
- Teacher Questionnaires allow for collaboration when assessing children in school populations.
- The Fluharty-2 is a norm-referenced screening test designed and thoroughly analyzed to provide "good" statistical information.
- The theoretical model for the Fluharty-2 follows current language development information.