According to research, effective independent reading libraries include an extensive collection of appealing books—in a wide variety of genres—at a range of text difficulty levels matched to students’ abilities, allowing for student choice yet providing guidance in selections. That’s the essence of HMH Independent Reading Libraries.
HMH Independent Reading Libraries contain single copies of high-interest fiction and nonfiction leveled texts and trade titles that span a variety of topics and genres to engage readers in Grades K–5. Approximately one third of the books in each library are trade titles.
- Each library at Kindergarten contains 250 single-copy titles in five Lexile®-based collections.
- Each library at Grades 1–5 contains 300 single-copy titles in six Lexile-based collections.
Libraries include totes for convenient storage, and books are labeled with Lexile levels to help students make accurate choices.
HMH Independent Reading Libraries:
- 50-50 balance of fiction/nonfiction
- 1/3 trade titles
- Tailored to match student Lexile levels
- Age-appropriate topics and interest levels
- Kindergarten: 250 titles in each library
- Grades 1–5: 300 titles in each library